Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sunday poetry


I Thought It Was Tangiers I Wanted

I know now
That Notre Dame is in Paris,
And the Seine is more to me now
Than a wriggling line on a map
Or a name in travel stories.

I know now
There is a Crystal Palace in Antwerp
Where a hundred women sell their naked bodies,
And the night-lovers of sailors
Wait for men on docks in Genoa.

I know now
That a great golden moon
Like a picture-book moon
Really rises behind palm groves
In Africa,
And the tom-toms do beat
In village squares under the mango trees.

I know now
That Venice is a church dome
And a network of canals,
Tangiers a whiteness under sun.

I thought
It was Tangiers I wanted,
Or the gargoyles of Notre Dame
Or the Crystal Palace in Antwerp,
Or the golden palm-grove moon in Africa,
Or a church dome and a network of canals.

Happiness lives nowhere,
Some old fool said,
If not within oneself.

It's a sure thing
Notre Dame is in Paris,
But I thought it was Tangiers I wanted.

~ Langston Hughes

No comments:

Post a Comment