Saturday, February 11, 2012

He's got an eye for beauty


I’m kind of related to a really talented photographer.

My stepsister, Dina, lives in Golden, Colorado, with her husband, Tim Ryan. From what my parents tell me, she’s an incredibly successful corporate lobbyist who drives a Lexus, owns two homes, and kayaks, mountain-bikes and travels the world in her spare time.

I haven’t seen or talked with Dina since the late 1980s – we just grew apart – and I’ve never met Tim (although we did recently exchange a few e-mail messages). My parents tell me he’s a very likable guy. He’s a freelance photographer/videographer who’s traveled extensively in Europe, Africa, Latin America and North America. He has a pretty impressive website and a blog that I’ve added to the “Links I Like” on the right.

What I remember about Dina is that she was smart and beautiful and my parents tell me that hasn’t changed. I also remember that she has an easy laugh and a good sense of humor. I think we saw “Grease” together when it first came out. Oh, and she doesn’t take crap from anybody and isn’t afraid to defend what’s hers. I found this out when I borrowed her sweet 1973 Mercury Cougar without asking back when we were teenagers.

I don’t remember much else. She moved from Michigan to Colorado around 25 years ago and I don’t recall seeing her since. I’m still claiming her as a sibling, however, because there’s a difference between losing touch and being estranged, and we never became officially estranged. That’s my story, anyway, and I’m sticking to it.

I’ve always wanted to travel to Morocco, India, Bolivia and other places that I consider “exotic” but I haven’t had – or made – the opportunity. Yet. Getting lost in my kind-of-sort-of-stepbrother-in-law’s striking, compelling, noteworthy, remarkable images has reignited this desire. In fact I’ve just decided to create a Bucket List, clichéd as that is, and will place “Travel like Dina and Tim” near the top.

If you need a freelance photographer/videographer with a stunningly beautiful wife and more than 20 years of experience who’s been all over, I kind of know a guy.






No comments:

Post a Comment