Monday, March 5, 2012

Ask the Animal if it's a "Game"


A friend posted a link to a Facebook community entitled “STOP Trophy Hunting NOW” that contains some truly unsettling photos of proud, smiling men posing with the corpses of their kills: rhinos and elephants and lions and tigers and bears. (Arrogant little rich boy Donald Trump Jr. is among them, knife and severed elephant tail in hand.) Big game hunters – especially those who hunt from jeeps and helicopters and ridicule those who don’t share their bloodlust – are a type of human being with whom I can’t relate on any level.

I find trophy hunting disgusting, horrific and indefensible. In my view it’s an activity in which one can participate only if one’s penis is as small as an infant’s and one’s need to prove one’s masculinity is as large as Rush Limbaugh’s ego. (I can’t even imagine what kind of penis envy motivates women to engage in this “sport.”)

I’m conflicted about hunting in general. I know how important it is to my state’s economy. I’ve heard about the need to protect crops and manage animal populations for their own good – to alleviate the suffering that comes with overpopulation and finite food sources. I understand that not everyone who eats meat can capture and process it themselves (this writer included) and I’ve read about hunters who’re committed to making use of as much of what they’ve brought down as possible and would sooner cut off their own digits than engage in a wasteful “sport” that gives all hunters a bad name. I just don’t have the desire or ability to end an animal’s life so that I can eat. If butchers and grocery stores didn’t exist, I probably wouldn’t either.

But there’s a Great Lake-sized difference between hunting for food and hunting for trophies.

My partner’s ex-husband is a boastful hunter who felt it necessary to display the detached heads of dead animals in their living room against Anita’s wishes; the first thing I did after Anita and I began dating was to remove these despicable monuments to his warped sense of décor – this was the home of four young, animal-loving children in suburban Lansing, after all, not a testosterone-filled hunting lodge in the Wild, Wild West – and relegate them to Anita’s garage where they remained until he reclaimed them.

To kill a living being, no matter how majestic or endangered, just because you can smacks of immaturity and mental dysfunction to me. To stalk and violently end a wild animal’s life, one that’s confined and weaponless for your advantage, so you can leave behind a rotting carcass that once represented a breathing, feeling creature and return home with a Polaroid that proves your manhood...well, let’s just say your right to slaughter and desecrate big game for your own entertainment is “trumped” in my book by your obligation to leave this world in better shape than when you arrived.

I’ve never trophy-hunted. That doesn’t mean my opposition isn’t informed or credible. I’ve never stabbed a man, raped a woman or stolen a car either but I’m pretty sure my opposition to these things is still respectable. I have no need or desire to exercise my superiority over four-legged beings that can’t even shoot back.

12 comments:

  1. These photos made me cry! It's not a game, it's barbaric and should be stopped NOW!!! These sadistic sickos should be lined up and shot - see how they like it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Anonymous: No they shouldn't. They should be let out in the wild with nothing but their bodies. Let them see what it's like to hunt on fair terms, let them experience the humiliation and terror as they realize just how pitiful they actually are.

    The worst thing is still the.. Female.. Who decided to kill an elephant with a bow and an arrow. It took the elephant hours to die from bleeding and she did not dare to near it until the day after. This woman is the perfect example of just how twisted humans can be.

    Killing an animal is still murder. Doing it for survival, like for meat or protecting, is fine. But this "trophy" hunting where they just throw away the meat.. It's despicable!

    When the animals are all extinct then where will they turn? Humans of another skin-colour? Then what? Each other?

    ReplyDelete
  3. how bout you all get over it and get a life hunting is a way of life if unless you eat nothing but vegetables and dirt than your eating the remains of "hunting" trophy hunting is just see who the best hunter is, people have been doing it scenes the stone age. point im getting at just get over it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. unless you live in the Klahari or are an eskimo HUNTING is not a way of life, dude. I bet you go to the supermarket and fast food outlets. I'd say grow up, and no size doesn't matter, mate.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous? (what a surprise). How about YOU get over it and purchase yourself a dictionary??? When you can come up with a relevant argument with proper spelling then come back and say your peice but until you can (which I guess will be never) then shut up!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i may not be very good at spelling but i still have relevant argument, your just to ignorant to see the point of what im saying because your so narrow minded about the situation. it has been way of life scenes man was first on this earth. you guys can whine and complain all you want. hunting isnt going anywhere it will still be a symbol of very strong way of life. I hope one day you ignorant people understand this and quit complaining about it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, yeah, whatever! You're still bitching because you can't change people's minds round to your (retarded) way of thinking. Do us all a favour and do one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK 'dumb-ass' for the last time : I am not against hunting, IF they are using the meat & etc to feed and clothe the villagers. What I am against is TROPHY HUNTING which is what we're talking about here! Sickos chasing, terrorising defenceless animals and leaving them to die in agony just so that they can have their photo taken to prove what a big 'man' or 'woman' they think they are only to leave the creature to rot is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE and should be banned NOW! Do you understand now 'dumb-ass'?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is disgusting to no end and why in the world can something like this happen.. I do not care if you are a Trump!

    ReplyDelete
  9. were did you read that garbage!? if that was at all true, do you think that there would be those starving kids in Africa? you need to help your self to some actual information before you start spouting off with your wrong information!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess you've had some deep childhood trauma and now need to really reassure yourself you are confident & superior to other beings, ey?
    I reckon ugly & small penis

    ReplyDelete