Thursday, October 18, 2012

I Propose Fewer Proposals


At first I couldn’t decide if I should write about the six – yes, that’s six – ballot proposals facing Michigan voters 19 days from now.

See, it irks me that state lawmakers have relegated so many complex, tough questions to an unsophisticated electorate rather than stepping up to the plate and doing the job voters sent them to Lansing to do. Their unwillingness to take a stand – potentially incurring the wrath of some of their constituents – has opened the doors for various interests to flood the airwaves with erroneous and confusing advertising, making it even less likely that sound public policy will be decided this year. (I’m not as opposed to citizen referenda as I am to legislative responsibility-shirking but for the purposes of this blog post I’m assuming lazy politicians are why we’re looking at six questions.)

I don’t believe in amending Michigan’s Constitution on a whim and I think the ballot proposal option should be used sparingly – like amputation, commas and economic sanctions (which, I’m told, inevitably hurt the populace of a country more than the politicians). This is especially true in light of the fact that just 66 percent of my state’s eligible voters showed up at the polls in 2008 and only 43 percent went to the trouble in 2010. I want most people amending the constitution and making important decisions that affect all of us, not just some people. And I want to be represented by my state legislators, who are each paid more than $71,000/year plus expenses to do just that, rather than being at the mercy of the special interest with the deepest pockets and/or the most effective GOTV effort.

But since we can seldom count on most politicians to do what’s right and voters need to know what they’ll be facing in less than three weeks, here’s what I think and know:

Proposal One: This proposal seeks to invoke the right of referendum for the controversial emergency manager law, Public Act 4 of 2011, about which I’ve written before. A “no” vote repeals the law in its entirety. PA 4 gives too much power to unelected managers to nullify contracts and collective bargaining agreements of cash-strapped communities and undermines the authority of locally-elected officials. I’ve opposed it since March of 2011 and my opinion hasn’t changed. I’m voting “Hell No.”

Proposal Two: This proposal, if approved, will amend the state constitution to create a new right to collective bargaining. I believe in the fundamental right of collective bargaining – and in protecting public and private employees’ jobs, wages and benefits – so I’m voting “Absolutely.”

Proposal Three: This proposal, if approved, will amend the state constitution to require utilities to obtain at least 25 percent of their electricity from clean renewable energy sources (wind, solar, biomass and hydropower) and will encourage the use of Michigan-made equipment and the employment of Michigan residents.

George Wood, the guy representing Consumers Energy who’s performing an energy audit in my home as I write this, supports Proposal Three. “By making utilities use renewable energy, we create a whole new industry in Michigan which we don’t have now,” George said. “If utilities are required to provide this, it will become a reality. We ought to be allowed to participate in the renewable revolution.” This proposal also protects consumers in the short term by capping rate increases caused by renewable energy regulations at one percent/year. I’m voting “Of Course.”

Proposal Four: This proposal, if approved, will amend the state constitution to establish the Michigan Quality Home Care Council to run background checks on home health care workers, provide training, ensure collective bargaining rights for around 42,000 workers, and maintain a registry of workers to benefit our elderly and disabled residents. I would support this except no one’s made the case for why it needs to be locked into the state constitution. I’m voting “I Think Not.”

Proposal Five: This proposal, if approved, will amend the state constitution to require that two-thirds of state lawmakers in both chambers, rather than a simple majority, have to agree on any and all new taxes in order for them to take effect. It also allows lawmakers to punt tax increase questions to voters if they can’t agree, which is just what we need: Joe the Plumber determining tax policy for the 12th largest state economy in the country. Democrats and Republicans agree that Proposal Five, if passed, will result in devastating cuts to education, public safety and infrastructure spending and will hinder any future tax reform. I’m voting “When Pigs Fly.”

Proposal Six: This proposal, if approved, will amend the state constitution to require a vote of the people before state officials can construct or finance any new international bridges or tunnels. And get this: it will also define “new international bridges or tunnels” as “any bridge or tunnel which is not open to the public and serving traffic as of January 1, 2012.” The Senate Fiscal Agency points out that if a special election is required every time officials want to build a bridge, it could cost taxpayers $10 million a pop.

Greedy, unscrupulous billionaire Matty Moroun, about whom I’ve written extensively, is behind this despicable effort to preserve his cash cow – he owns the Ambassador Bridge connecting the United States and Canada – and his blatantly misleading television and radio commercials pander to the short-sighted “No Spending Of Any Kind For Any Reason Whatsoever” segment of the population (the same folks who join the Tea Party and elect far-right politicians who worship at the altar of Grover Norquist). I don’t want Tea Party ignoramuses making fiscal, engineering and international trade decisions on my behalf so I’m voting “No Frikkin’ Way.”

I’m fearful that Michigan voters can’t or won’t take the time to study these six issues before stepping into the voting booth next month. I’m afraid that a small minority will make decisions that impact all of us. And I’m not sure how many of my fellow Michiganders even read “What’s the Diehl?” Well, at least no one can say I didn’t do my part.


Sources: Citizens Research Council of Michigan, State Senator Gretchen Whitmer (D-East Lansing), MichiganRising.org, Michigan Department of State.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your views on these proposals Patrick. An interesting and informative bit of writing for sure.

    ReplyDelete