Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Michael Franti on Election 2012


Michael Franti, 46, is a talented poet, composer and musician who fronts Michael Franti & Spearhead, a band that blends hip hop with funk, reggae, jazz, folk and rock. An outspoken supporter of peace and justice issues, Franti recently posted the following essay in Facebook:

ELECTION 2012: There has been a lot of chatter on this page about who I am voting for this election. Rather than address each post or engage in an online yelling match, I have decided to post one statement about it.

I have two criteria for choosing a Presidential candidate to vote for:

1. Do I GENERALLY agree with their principles more than the other candidate?

2. Does their party have votes in the U.S. Congress and Senate?

I'm an idealist in my personal life, but a pragmatist when it comes to presidential politics. I don't believe any President of the United States can solve all our nation’s problems, or should be called upon to meet all of my personal expectations. There are over 300 million people in our country, so the chance that the prez is going to please all of us all the time is ridiculously slim. Newsflash: Presidents disappoint! So when it comes to Presidential elections, I vote for the candidate whose ideas I GENERALLY agree with more than the other candidate. I don't vote for Superman (who never fails), a Supreme Ruler (who always gets what they want) or Santa Claus (who always gets me what I want). I vote for the person who I think just might (emphasis on the "might") steer things economically, socially and geo-politically in the direction I hope to see.

So here are some important issues to me. (Not listed in order, and these aren't all of them)

-We should end the war in Afghanistan as soon as possible.
-Wealthy people and corporations should carry a greater tax load than they currently do and middle class people should receive a reduction.
-Freedom of marriage for ALL people.
-We should preserve a woman's right to choose.
-We should increase spending for education.
-All citizens should have access to affordable health care.
-Prosecution of Wall Street criminals.
-Legalize Marijuana
-Campaign finance reform (Put an end to Super PACs and big money election spending)
-Make environmental sustainability a national priority.
-We should end all bombing in other countries (we don't like it when it happened to us, what makes us think another country likes it happening to them)
-Create a Department of Peace
-Bring back music and arts education in public schools

On all of these issues I feel Obama is CLOSER to my opinion than Romney. This does not mean I agree with everything Obama does or has done. For example, I want to see an immediate end to drone weapon attacks in Pakistan and an immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan and aid for schools and economic development to the Afghan people as was promised to them when they pushed Russia out of their country in 1980. Obama says he wants to end the Afghan war in 2014, Romney says he sees no reason for a deadline.

To my second point: Once a president gets elected their ability to accomplish their goals is largely based upon how many votes they have in Congress and the Senate. If their party doesn't have the votes, it's doubtful any of their legislation will ever get passed. Simple as that. This is why as much as I might personally love a candidate whose ideals are closer to mine, I don't spend my vote on a third party presidential candidate whose party has zero votes on Capitol Hill. I save that idealistic kind of vote for primary elections, local offices or "liking" a kitten video on YouTube.

Finally, I really don't enjoy political arguments, pundits, bullies and loudmouths. I didn't like them in seventh grade civics classes and I don't like them now that the Internet and cable TV has given us all a vehicle to berate each other behind the relative anonymity of our screens, which is why I don't usually comment on Facebook or Twitter. That being said, I love the fact that people care enough to express opinions with me and are motivated enough to engage in positive discussion on line.

There are 1461 days between presidential elections that all of us have an opportunity to make the world a better place, regardless of who gets elected. Don't leave it just to politicians, get out there and DO SOMETHING POSITIVE. We need everybody to tackle the world's problems. The best science has to offer, the wisdom of indigenous nations, the common sense of everyday people, Non-Governmental Organizations, the resources of the corporate world, the cooperation of governments, the spending power of consumers and the commitment, creativity and enthusiasm of all generations.

If you disagree with some or all of my beliefs I'm okay with that, we all come from different lives and experiences and have different dreams and values. That is why I never suggest to others that they vote for the candidate that I like. Rather, I always say be the most well informed voter you can be, show up on Election Day and vote for whoever you want. I hope everyone reading this does just that.

Be your best. Serve the greater good. And rock out wherever you are.

~ Michael Franti

1 comment: