I ran across an anti-Obama group in Facebook the other day that made me feel really dirty.
The sheer volume of vitriol in the group was overwhelming. The messages and memes were so offensive, so caustic and racist and disrespectful and even threatening, that I had to sign out of Facebook, close my laptop and go take a shower.
Before I did, though, I copied some of the comments in the group to repost verbatim (I squelched the urge to fix spelling, typing, capitalization and punctuation mistakes):
- It blows my mind that anyone could still support this asshole
- Why in the history of the USA r we putting up with him? why????
- Bush Beat the hell out of this Dumbass...
- Not a President but a Dictator!
- Impeach this muslin bastard now
- Remove from office tomorrow,let the progressives cry & complain. That's all they are good for.
- LOL he is not a president he is an actor
- Thug Politics at it's Finest !!!!
- He's such an asshole
- Kind makes ya think of a big zit on America's ass, huh?
- @ the rate things are going there wont be a United States of America, its going to be more like Russia when it was known as the USSR.
- They have proven his birth certificate is fake, they have proved his social security cardS are fake, they have proved that his draft card is fake, they have proved that his college records are sealed. He says he believes in Transparency in Government and yet he Lies. That is a Proven Fact!
- He is a figure head for a nazi war criminal
- As far as bin laden is concerned a trained monkey could have done the same thing Obama did..all that this coward did was sweep up the pieces after BUSH did most of the work...but isn't that the liberal credo ? let someone else do all the work…
You’ll notice there are no verifiable assertions or facts on which these insults and bizarre claims are based. It’s just name-calling and ad hominem attacks.
I’ve included some of the memes from the group below. Sadly, this is just the tip of the iceberg, at least in this one group. Depressing and disgusting, huh?
If you think this hatred toward the White House’s current occupant is limited to Facebook groups, think again. The
|Courtesy Johnny Hanson/Houston Chronicle|
Another thing about the hatred toward Obama that bugs me is the illegitimacy of many of the objections. The GOP has been ripping the president a new one ad nauseam because of last September’s attacks on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi, Libya, during which four Americans were murdered. But where was the outrage back in 2002 when the U.S. Consulate in Karachi, Pakistan was attacked and 10 people were killed; or in 2004 when our embassy in Uzbekistan was bombed, killing two and injuring nine; or that same year when gunmen stormed the U.S. Consulate in Saudi Arabia and eight people were killed; or in 2006 when one person was killed during an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Syria?
Where were the demands for an official investigation when a grenade was launched into the U.S. Embassy in Athens in 2007; or the following year when rioters set fire to the U.S. Embassy in Serbia; or when 10 people were killed during bombings that same year at our embassy in Yemen? And what about the fact that U.S. House Republicans voted to cut funding for embassy security last October? The hypocrisy, it burns.
Given that the slogan, “God, Guns and Glory” was featured at the top of the Facebook group I visited, I knew its members were not my kindred spirits. Still, I thought I could get a better understanding of why people oppose Obama so strenuously. Instead, all I learned is that there’s apparently a direct connection between anti-Obama sentiment and developmental disabilities, and GOP politicians have an army of morons on which they can rely to regurgitate their bullet points.
How can we move forward as a nation when the guy we sent to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue faces such putrid and nescient opposition?
Sources: Huffington Post, LittleGreenFootballs.com.