Sunday, May 5, 2013

Won't you please make a donation?



I've been toiling away at "What's the Diehl?" since March of 2011. I've researched and written hundreds of posts on everything from the Salvation Army and the stooges in Washington to reality television and my own family. I've written about AIPAC and CISPA, the debt ceiling and sequestration, Obama and Romney, Palin and Fonda. I've written about my favorite books and authors, guns and GMOs. I've posted about rich and poor, Iran and Russia, dogs and guns, rape and religion, Trayvon Martin and the Koch Brothers.

I've posted a number of cool music videos and countless compelling photographs. I've shared provocative and stimulating poetry almost every Sunday since the blog's inception. I've included guest posts from experts on a variety of subjects. The only thing I haven't done much of is soliciting my readers for donations.

In all this time I've posted just 13 donation requests and have received under $200. (Some blogs conduct fundraising drives just like public television, with week-long campaigns and several requests each day.) I've resisted including advertisements and I try to entertain by regularly posting silly threats and promises underneath the "donate" button on the right.  I know there are more blogs on the internet than there are blades of grass in my backyard and people aren't inclined to pay for what's free.

This is the thing: times are tough here at "What's the Diehl?" headquarters. Things could always be worse, of course, but our challenges are mounting. I'm not trying to finance a trip to Hawaii; I just want to pay some of the bills. I'm not asking for something for nothing; I'm just asking you to kick in a few bucks to show your appreciation.

Pretty please?


No comments:

Post a Comment