Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Here's the Diehl



I knew going in that one doesn’t get rich from blogging unless one’s first name is Arianna and last name is Huffington, but I kept thinking the time I spent on “What’s the Diehl?” might help me land something, that my reward might at some point extend beyond reaching people with my thoughts and opinions. But it never really took off. The donations never really came (I can count on one hand how many I’ve received in the two-and-a-half years that I’ve been blogging), none of my posts went viral, there was no influx of fans or followers, and no one’s contacted me with offers or opportunities. And climbing Klout scores and compelling blog posts don’t pay any bills.

“What’s the Diehl?” is now comprised of almost 1,500 posts (including music videos and images) and has attracted just under 100,000 page views since its inception in March of 2011. So there’s that. But it’s way past time for me to focus less on things that make me see red and more on things that earn more green. My babies really do need new shoes.

Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

  1. I only recently (last 6 months) started following your blog. The issues are important and your views are appreciated. Six months ago I "quit my job" at the age of 65. I try to live on SS so I am not able to contribute to any cause financially. I wish I had had the time before retirement to send a donation.
    I hope things work out and you can continue to write. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had much the same experience with blogging that you describe. Good luck you. Your blogs have been fun to read. Sometimes we write, not for the financial benefit, but because we are so drawn to writing, we do it for the love of it. I know that doesn't buy your kids shoes, but perhaps you will continue to blog occasionally. I certainly hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't have any shame asking for money. Go out and spend your time finding job, so you can feed yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. anon 8/29 8:57am - i think that's basically what he said he was doing. troll elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you serious buddy? I think we are all in the same boat here. I wish you success and wish I could help you.

    ReplyDelete