Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Anita likes Obama more than me


Anita gave me an earful because I was critical of Barack Obama in yesterday’s post.

She reminded me of what the president’s up against in our nation’s cesspool, er, capital and thought I should be harder on Republicans and softer on him.

So let me be clear:

I understand the political situation in Washington, DC. I realize what Obama is up against.

I acknowledge that he’s achieved some victories and is a far cry better than the doddering Maverick from Phoenix would have been.

I agree that the ignorant, apathetic electorate deserves some blame for where we find ourselves today.

But when you violate a campaign promise to end war and in fact ramp it up and make a mockery of the Nobel Peace Prize,

And when you campaign on a promise to end tax cuts for the rich and violate that pledge by extending them,

And when you refuse to fight for a public option in health care reform but you’re okay with mandating that I buy insurance from private companies,

Then I’m going to be disgusted and disappointed and I’m going to say so.

I realize the guy doesn’t report to Patrick Diehl in Michigan and the job is pretty complex. I can overlook the objectionable decisions and failure to do what I would have liked in certain situations. I can even forgive and forget that the dude went on national television the day after the midterms and kowtowed to the pricks who only won the lower chamber of our two-house Congress, telegraphing weakness and further emboldening an already-cocky and prone-to-exaggerate group of *ssh*l*s.

But when you prove in word and deed that you’re not who you said you were and are in fact almost the exact opposite, then I’m not going to be all fired up about your re-election campaign announcement.

There’s no law prohibiting me from being critical.

Yet.

6 comments:

  1. I wonder how you'd hold up Patrick? And if your promises and ideal would come to fruition without a hitch if you were in his shoes. He is only a man, as are you. But you have the convenience of being critical from the out side much like he was when campaigning, so excuse me if your gripes seam slightly ironic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anita likes Obama more than I (like Obama)

    english teacher who loves you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My current fight is here in Michigan. I'm behind my President! I voted for him because I trust his judgment. I do not stand in judgment of my President, for he has accomplished much in a short time, this involved compromise and position re-evaluation based on current up to date information. I trust my President is doing what is best for my interest because we share the same values. I will not second guess my President because he has a wealth of information available to him as he chooses his positions and makes his decisions, information that I don't have. When re-election is imminent I will examine and evaluate the total picture prior to casting my ballot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And here I thought your wife was hot for the president. Now that is fodder for blogging....

    For O to have gotten as far as he has under the mess he inherited POST-campaign and with the rise of the Tea-pots is nigh unto a miracle. He needs support, positive campaigners and time. How soon we forget eight years under Cheney/Bush!

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the record:

    1. I was playing with words. I was implying that my wife likes the POTUS more than she likes me. I understand grammar. I was playing. Geez.

    2. I still support Barack Obama. I'm prodding him (and taking a swipe at those who are blindly allegiant to any politician, no matter how intelligent or eloquent), not deserting him.

    3. If I were to move anywhere, it would be south, where the weather's warmer. But since Anita doesn't want to move, looks like I'll be shoveling snow until the inevitable heart attack....

    Thanks, y'all, for commenting.

    ReplyDelete