Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sunday poetry


Beneath one little star

My apologies to the accidental for calling it necessary.
However, apologies to necessity if I happen to be wrong.
Hope happiness won't be angry if I claim it as my own.
May the dead forget they barely smolder in my
remembrance.
Apologies to time for the abundance of the world missed
every second.
Apologies to my old love for treating the new as the first.
Forgive me, distant wars, for bringing flowers home.
Forgive me, open wounds, that I prick my finger.
Apologies to those calling from the abyss for a record of a
minuet.
Apologies to people catching trains for sleeping at dawn.
Pardon me, baited hope, for my sporadic laugh.
Pardon me, deserts, for not rushing with a spoon-ful of
water;
and you too, hawk, unchanged in years, in that self-same
cage,
staring motionless, always at the self-same spot,
forgive me, even if you are stuffed.
Apologies to the hewn tree for the four table-legs.
Apologies to the big questions for small replies.
Truth, don't pay me too much attention.
Seriousness -- be magnanimous.
Mystery of Being -- suffer me to pluck threads from your
train.
Soul -- don't blame me for having you but rarely.
Apologies to everyone for failing to be every him or her.
I know that while I live nothing can excuse me,
since I am my own impediment.
Speech -- don't blame me for borrowing big words
and then struggling to make them light.

~ Wislawa Szymborska

No comments:

Post a Comment