Saturday, April 16, 2011

You can't win if you don't play nice


  • In July of 2005, Dolores McNamara, an Irish housewife, won a nine-week rollover jackpot of $160 million.
  • On February 18, 2006, a group of eight co-workers from Nebraska who bought a single lottery ticket won the $365 million Powerball jackpot. They received a lump sum payout of $177,270,519, the largest payout ever recorded.
  • On March 6, 2007, a $390 million Mega Millions jackpot was shared by two lucky ticket holders, one from Georgia and one from New Jersey. Each winner received $116,557,083 after taxes.
  • On August 22, 2009, a player from Toscana won the Italian lottery jackpot, SuperEnalotto. The $205 million jackpot is the largest lottery prize won in Europe.

Anita and I watched a few episodes of “The Lottery Changed My Life” on TLC. It was depressing.

Not because we were envious or didn’t think it could ever happen to us. We pretty regularly visit the nearby Speedway to purchase a few Mega Millions numbers or pick up a Powerball number on the way out of Meijers.

It was because the folks featured in the few episodes we watched were all about themselves and their immediate families and friends.

No one wanted to start up a business that employed 40 people. No one wanted to save a struggling homeless shelter or send a poor kid to college. It was all about diamonds and show horses and 20-room houses and 200-acre properties and Corvettes and caviar.

My friend Randall Glumm sparked a conversation in Facebook this morning about what people would do if they hit the Big One. I was expecting people to mention hybrid cars or concert tickets or something with 10 karats – but the conversation was all about helping others and tapping into our “inherent good” and even supporting National Public Radio.

That makes me feel better. Anita and I would be a little selfish – we do have five kids to put through college and the minivan’s getting a little tired and so are our aging parents – but our daydreaming-out-loud always includes references to the charitable foundation we’d start and the tax ramifications of giving cash away.

How many Cadillacs and Quarter Horse Stallions and homes in Maui can we take with us when our number’s up anyway?



Source: shocking-news.org

1 comment:

  1. I've thought about what I would do with a million dollars. (I've been told I should think bigger, but oh well.) I would pay off my modest home and car loans - also do many home repairs that have been put off and find a way to establish a fund for operating expenses. I think I would get another dog. I would buy my two kids each a car and a home and give them money for college Give some money to my family and friends. That really does not amount to much of the total. I know. I've laid it out. Then I would donate or even set up a foundation. Would also give money anonymously to groups and individuals. Would volunteer my time for worthwhile efforts. I have been fortunate in so many ways. I'd like to give back more.

    ReplyDelete