Friday, August 12, 2011

Anybody wanna interpret this?


I dreamed I had this nice older couple – a man named Kathy and a woman named Lynn – as neighbors. We lived in the same apartment building in New York or Chicago or some sprawling metropolis with lots of sounds – music and sirens and car horns and screeching and shouting. Everyone kept their canned food on large wooden shelving in the building’s basement, for some reason, and even though there were no locks or numbers or labels or cabinets, no one’s cans were ever stolen or moved or tampered with.

I remember feeling nervous as I prepared to have dinner with Kathy and Lynn for the first time. I remember wondering what I should wear and what I should bring and what I should talk about and how long I should stay. I didn’t want to miss any hints that it was time to call it a night, as I’ve done before, and I wondered if they would be direct like my dad – who, when he became tired, would say to his guests, “Everybody out of the pool” even though there was no pool – or more subtle, like maybe making sure I noticed the wine bottle was empty or getting up and closing the curtains.

I don’t remember anything else.

I thought about visiting one of those online dream interpretation sites but I wouldn’t even know what category Kathy and Lynn fall under. I doubt the dream had hidden meanings about sex or mysticism or animals or betrayal. No one was naked or distressed or ranting and raving. I don’t remember any revolving bookcases or fake fireplaces or giant chattering teeth or bugs climbing up the walls. No one chased me and I don’t recall falling.

Was this a healing dream? Was it a prophetic or epic or signal dream? This was the first time I met Lynn and Kathy so it wasn’t recurring, and it wasn’t a mutual dream because Anita denied having it.

All I know is that it wasn’t a nightmare because there were no debt ceilings or credit downgrades or demands that we cut taxes on corporations or rob from the poor to give to the rich.

Too bad we forget half of a dream five minutes after it ends and 90 percent after ten minutes. If more of my dreams featured Kathy and Lynn and the cans in the basement, I’d want to spend more time asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment