Monday, December 5, 2011

The Kids Are Alright


One of my Facebook friends, Rosey Ramos Abuabara, is an interesting, outspoken, complex, confident woman from San Antonio, Texas. She’s just a few years younger than me and our politics are similar which is why I’m glad we connected in the Realm of Lord Zuckerberg.

Another reason why I’m glad I “know” Rosey is because her kids are nothing short of amazing.

She and her husband, Sabas Fatule Abuabara, a physician, are the parents of 13-year-old twins Ishmael and Ezra and 12-year-old Sophia. The Abuabara kids are close friends with a 14-year-old girl who goes by the name of “Serenity Red.” The foursome is into acting, dance and music, and they’ve created their own channel on Youtube where they regularly post original, entertaining short videos.

The Flublurblur Productions page currently features surprisingly high-quality videos entitled, “Dora the Explorer,” “A Day at School,” “Neighbors,” “The Dr. Ishmael Show,” “Into the Woods,” and the video I posted below, their version of Maroon 5’s “Moves Like Jagger,” among others. Not only are Ish, Ezra, Sophia and Serenity prolific, but they’re exceedingly talented. It’s hard to believe these videos are scripted, filmed, edited, and produced by four children who can’t drive and aren’t yet in high school. They’re clearly not Spielberg or Scorsese. Yet. But they’re definitely supposed to be doing these videos, expressing themselves, entertaining their growing audience of fans and subscribers.

Photos on Rosey’s Facebook page reveal that the kids know how to apply scary makeup like pros too. And their lip-synching puts Ashlee Simpson to shame.

Ezra, who handles most of the filming and editing, gave up soccer for dance at the age of six and started winning awards. Sophia, who’s known for her intelligence and has a photographic memory, has been dancing since the age of four. Ish, the older twin, prefers acting to music and also digs Xbox and world history. And Serenity, who met the Abuabaras in school and got into acting to become less self-conscious, enjoys athletics and helps with filming and editing.

Their videos have been viewed more than 2,000 times since they created their page in September of last year.

Although my own kids blow me away on an almost daily basis, I’ve always known that my Nikita, Bryant, Maya and Devina aren’t the only special, fantastic, exceptional young people on the planet. Through Rosey Ramos Abuabara, I’ve met four others who reassure me that the future is bright for art and creativity.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing such a great article about my kids!
    Now, outspoken, interesting, and confident about me are all great. But.. My friend.. Complex? Ha.. ! I love it.. :)
    I love thinking that the world is stuffed full of kids like ours. And, yeah.. They're gonna be alright. (keeping fingers crossed!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a relative of Rosey and you do not know her as well as you think you do. She is short tempered and when I unfriended her on Facebook recently she went ballistic and left some god awful vulgar and threatening voicemails. I am sure she was inebriated at the time but I had to put the voicemails out on youtube for people to hear what she really is all about! Yes we all get angry at one time or another but Facebook and Voicemails are not the place. She continued to harrass me for weeks until I made a police report. The Police Report Case #12164075 is on file. This woman is unstable in all her ways but the police did say most doctor's wives are neglected by their husbands and therefore prey on people to make herself feel better about herself.

    ReplyDelete