Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wish I Had a Fever


My little girl’s sick today but I’m the one who’s depressed.

A cough and fever kept Devina, my six-year-old, from attending school today. Not only could I not provide the level of maternal nurturing that Anita can, but I wasn’t able to participate in the “Stand Up for Families” protest rally at the State Capitol.

An estimated 8,000 people gathered in the sunshine to protest the Snyder Administration’s “Rob from the Poor and Give to the Rich” budget proposals and anti-union, anti-democracy initiatives. Yet Snyder apparently won’t be swayed; he told an audience at Jackson National Life Insurance this morning that taxing pensions is only fair and it’s important to create an attractive business atmosphere to keep young people interested in working and living in the state. Yeah, making poor people, seniors and students pay for $1.8 billion in tax cuts for businesses sure is going to make Michigan attractive to young people.

Reminds me of February of 2003, I think it was, when millions took to the streets all over the world to protest Dubya's plan to invade Iraq and eliminate that country’s gargantuan stockpile of weapons of mass destruction (which didn’t exist). The immense protests achieved little in the way of influencing politicians; the following month the US bombed Baghdad. I fear that rallies and sleep-ins really aren’t as powerful as cold, hard campaign cash in persuading officials to choose one course over another, regardless of how well-attended or well-covered they are.

On top of this, I can’t ignore the minute-by-minute reports of the suffering and latest developments in Japan. The devastating earthquake and massive tsunami could result in losses of up to $200 billion for the world’s third-largest economy. Upwards of 4,000 lives have already been claimed and an estimated 10,000 lives could be lost. And the country’s nuclear crisis is becoming scarier by the minute; although experts say it’s unlikely that dangerous radiation will reach the United States, the Chicken Littles are sounding their alarms. (I ran across this quote while net-surfing ‘How to Help Japan’ sites today: "Two hands do more than a thousand prayers." Take that, believers.)

Other tidbits getting’ me down:

  • Across the country, conservatives are trying or planning to shift the burden of budget shortfalls onto middle-class Americans while simultaneously doling out tax cuts to corporations.

  • Congress is trying to divide the electorate and divert attention from its incredible ineffectiveness by advancing a resolution that promotes the display of “In God We Trust” in public schools and other public buildings.

  • The GOP’s presidential contenders are pandering to Big Oil and Coal and backtracking from previous statements expressing concern about climate change.

  • Taking their cues from their business masters, Republicans running the House Financial Services Committee want the soon-to-be-created Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s (CFPB) budget placed under Congress’ control so politicians can threaten its financing if the agency does anything they don’t like. (The plan was originally to fund the CFPB through the self-financing Federal Reserve.)

  • Hillary Clinton told CNN’s Wolf Blitzer (Is it just me or is that the silliest name in broadcasting?) that she won't serve in the second term of the Obama Administration if there is one. I’ve changed my mind about HRC. I think she’s done a good job as secretary of state, is a good role model for young girls after all, and has bigger cojones than the guy who appointed her. I view her as one of Obama’s best decisions so I consider her probable departure a bad thing.

I can’t decide if I need to a) stop surfing the net, b) stop watching TV and listening to the radio, c) stop paying attention, d) stop caring, or e) all of the above. But something has to change because I found myself wishing I could just stay in bed all day and watch cartoons like Devina.



Sources: Reuters, Sierra Club, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, Daily Kos, Michigan Radio

No comments:

Post a Comment